Wednesday, January 20, 2016

I forgot how hard it was ...

I'm a mom of 3 and a grandma.  Although we don't like that word because I am only 40.  So I am Nonni or Nana.  Doesn't matter which one. Just NOT grandma.  Actually if its this little guy saying it, I don't care what he calls me.  He is my heart.  There just isn't a love like you have with a grandchild.

I've had him overnight for two nights.  My daughter, who is a young mom, is doing fantastic.  She really is.  And it's hard.  Harder than she thought it would be.  But for your first one, who knew what to expect?  I remember with my first one everyone told me that she would change my life and I replied with "doesn't matter because I don't have a social life anyways" .... um. ok.  What the heck does that have to do with a baby?  Nothing.  I know that now and learned back then.  But either way, she is doing amazing and doing her best.  He is a happy baby and loved.

Nonetheless she is sleep deprived.  I get it.  She is emotional and needs more support.  I have told her over and over, let me help.  It's okay to need help.  So finally she lets me help.  I get him all to myself for 2 nights and 3 days.  I forgot how hard it was.

It's not a bad thing to forget that.  To forget the sleepless nights and the every 3 hour feedings.  I remember, but I don't remember it being terrible.  I remember the smiles and potty training and first foods and laughs.  I remember those things.  I know it wasn't easy.  In my head with these young moms I think to myself that I had 3 kids, worked full time, made dinner, kept the house clean and had time for a shower before I watched my favorite shows.  After these two nights I feel bad that I had those thoughts.  I never felt that they were making excuses but I just didn't understand that if I could why couldn't they.  Experience.  With having my DG the first day I cleaned the house, but instead of it taking me 45 minutes to do, it took me almost all day.  But all I could think of is that I got it done!  But then I thought back to it and yah.  Took me a little bit.  I also had to take my daughter to a few appts., so we had to pack him up and take him with us wherever we went.  That was hard and he slept a lot so last night was a little rough.  This is what my daughter does every single day and she probably isn't perfect at it and she probably doesn't get everything done but that is because she is still learning.  She will figure it out.  She will be more amazing than she is.  She just needs to let up on herself and if she's not meeting others expectations, WHO CARES!  

This is an awesome time in a young moms life.  Learning, caring and just figuring it all out.  I hope that others expectations doesn't overshadow the awesomeness of this time.  Because it will all come to you in your own time.  Having a baby isn't an excuse not to do anything, but take your time.  The dishes can wait.  The vacuuming can wait.  Fit it in.  

I felt like I was a pro when I took him home with me but then I realized that I forgot all this baby stuff.  Today I am in more awe of my daughter than I was.  It's a tough job and she is doing fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment